WSU Cougar Head Logo Washington State University

SMP Program

Simultaneous Membership Program with the Army National Guard or Army Reserve

“Simultaneous” means students who are at the same time:

  • Full-time college students (sophomore, junior, senior, or grad students)
  • Currently serving (or willing to enlist) in the USAR or ARNG
  • Enrolled in Army ROTC

In the SMP you participate in unit training with your USAR or ARNG unit one weekend a month, while earning your commission through ROTC. Upon college graduation, you will be commissioned as an officer in the Army, and have the option of either serving full-time on Active Duty, or part-time in the Army Reserve or Army National Guard.

By enlisting into a reserve component you also qualify for in-state tuition rates. If you are job (MOS) qualified and a current member of a reserve unit, WSU will take half off of your in-state tuition bill every semester. There are numerous financial benefits from both the Army Reserve and ROTC that will pay for the remainder of your tuition, as well as help pay for cost of living expenses.

If you are (or will be) a freshman and are currently enlisted, you are eligible for SMP at the beginning of your sophomore year. For your first year you can still enroll in ROTC classes, and drill with your unit, but are not formally in the SMP. If you are a sophomore or higher and currently enlisted, you must enroll in the SMP to enroll in ROTC.

To get into the SMP, students with no prior military service will attend Basic Combat Training (BCT) and Advanced Individual Training (AIT) during the summer and will be assigned to a local National Guard or Reserve unit upon completion of training. (Prospective cadets with prior military experience may simply be assigned to a unit.)

It is possible to join the ARNG and enroll in ROTC without going to Basic Training, but without Basic Training and AIT you are only eligible for a fraction of the tuition benefits available.

Incentives/pay per year:

Monthly Stipend ($420 per month)$4,200
Drill pay through SMP E-5 ($338)$3,380
Montgomery GI bill ($392) [requires completion of BCT and AIT]$3,920
Montgomery GI bill kicker ($350) [requires completion of BCT and AIT]$3,500

After Graduation

When you enlist in the USAR or ARNG you may choose an enlistment period of up to 6 years. However, as soon as you graduate college and get commissioned through ROTC (usually on the same day as graduation), your enlistment contract is terminated—no matter how much time is left on your enlistment.

Upon commissioning, you start a brand new career as an Army officer. That means that even though you were enlisted in the USAR or ARNG while going to school, you have the option of serving as an officer either full-time on Active Duty, or staying part-time as an officer in the USAR or ARNG.

Also, the job specialty (MOS) you had while enlisted has no bearing on your career options as an officer. If you like the field you were in as an enlisted soldier, you can choose that field as an officer. If not, you can pick any of the other 16 basic branches.

SMP does not lock you into–or out of–any commissioning options. You can still go on Active Duty, or switch from having been enlisted in the USAR to an officer in the ARNG (or vice versa). You can stay in your enlisted career field, or switch to something totally different.

Guaranteed Reserve Forces Duty (GRFD)

Cadets who know that when they graduate they only want to serve in a reserve component (USAR or ARNG) can request a GRFD contract. A GRFD contract means that you will not—either voluntarily or involuntarily—be given an Active Duty assignment after commissioning. By signing a GRFD contract, you agree to pick either a USAR or ARNG assignment upon commissioning.

It is not necessary to sign a GRFD contract in order to get a USAR or ARNG commission; you can request USAR or ARNG at the same time (the end of your junior year) as you request your career branch and other commissioning options. SMP participation is not required for GRFD contracting.