WSU Cougar Head Logo Washington State University

Army ROTC for Graduate Students

Army ROTC offers a 2-year master’s degree program for graduate students and scholarships may be available to help pay for graduate school. You can:

  • Get help paying for Graduate School!
  • Receive Leadership training and development while earning your master’s degree.
  • Have a career path locked up for you after college as a commissioned officer in the U.S. Army whether Active Duty, Army National Guard or in the Army Reserve.

How it works:

Applicants will need to become qualified for the first two years of Army ROTC or the freshman and sophomore classes. To do this we can:

  • Take our freshman and sophomore Military Science Courses prior to starting graduate school such as taking them while finishing up your bachelor’s degree.
  • Attend a four-week class in the summer before your studies start.
  • Join the National Guard or Army Reserve and complete Basic Training and participate in what we call the Simultaneous Membership Program.

Prospective graduate students need two years or four semesters of ROTC upper division training. This will require on average about 15 hours per week of your time for Army ROTC training.

How it pays:

ROTC Scholarships are available on a case-by-case basis. These will pay for either full tuition and fees or the room and board scholarship option that pays you $10,000 per year directly to you.

As mentioned above you can enlist into either the Army National Guard or the Army Reserves and simultaneously become a cadet in our program. We call this the Simultaneous Membership Program or SMP for short. This route includes going off to basic training and advance training and offers a lot of financial benefits that help pay for graduate school.


Those commissioning as officers into the Active Duty Army owe four years of service as an officer. For those commissioning in the National Guard or Army Reserves who did not take a scholarship will owe six years of service in a reserve components or eight years for those who were awarded a scholarship. For more information, please reach out to Mr. Tate at or at 509-308-9676.